Saturday, June 29, 2013

Exploring French Canada

I recently went on a post-graduation trip with my family where we drove through the province of Quebec. I absolutely love Quebec, and if you love sightseeing, speaking French, and naturally stunning places, I highly recommend checking out this area of Canada. 

Montreal
I have been to Montreal twice, once in the spring of 2012 and once this past summer. 
(Spring 2012, Old Port of Montreal)

(Summer 2013, Museum of Fine Arts)

Montreal is a city in every sense of the word. Tall buildings, harsh traffic, a bustling downtown area - Montreal is a great metropolitan center. If you like big, bustling cities (yet less bustling than places like New York), Montreal is the place for you. 

Must-Sees in Montreal
The Biodome de Montreal is the place where you can let your inner child be fascinated by the different climates and animals represented here. From the tropical forest (that actually feels warm) to the ice caps and the penguins, it's fascinating to see how the different climates have been created here. 
Beautiful old buildings, tons of restaurants, perfect to stroll down and take tons of pictures. 
Incredible (free!) museum, connected underground to other areas of the museum. 
I'm a sucker for views and this provides a panorama view of the whole city - and the ride up is pretty cool too. 

Things I Wish I Had Seen 
Because of rain and time constraints, I was unable to visit the Parc du Mont-Royal and the Notre Dame  Basilica - but I drove by them and they looked absolutely gorgeous! Every travel website also recommended them as must-sees in the city. 

Quebec City
I have also been to Quebec City twice, once during the winter of 2012 and once this past summer. 
(Vieux Quebec, Winter 2012)

(Vieux Quebec, Summer 2013)

Quebec City was once described as to me as the most European place in North America, and it is currently tied with Edinburgh for my favorite place in the entire world, and I have very solid plans to go back in February and in October of 2014. I have visited both when it was cold and when it was warm, and in both climates the city was absolutely breathtaking. In the summer, the colors are bright and beautiful, and if you visit during the right time in the winter you get to experience Quebec City Winter Carnival

I'm not going to make a list of must-sees as much as tell you to put on your walking shoes (or boots) and explore the streets of Old Quebec and see where the day takes you. Last time I was there, my family and I randomly came across the Musee de Bon Pasteur (too obscure to even be on Trip Advisor - the receptionist only spoke French), and it turned out to be a really interesting museum tour. 

While you wander around Old Quebec, make sure to walk all the way down to the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac and take in the views, both of the chateau and the port below, which are breathtaking both in the summer and in the winter.

Parc National des Hautes-Gorges-de-la-Riviere Malbaie
The last time I went, my family and I wanted one more place to explore before we went back home. I actually found this national park by looking on google maps and randomly clicking on it - and it turned out to be an incredible place.
(Pictures from our boat tour, Summer 2013)

The pictures of this place looked beautiful, so we decided to go ahead and take the leap and go. It's about 2.5 hours north of Quebec City, and from what I understand it's harder to access during the winter as roads may be closed, but it's beautiful over the summer. The park offers a boat tour, hiking trails, river swimming, and even a restaurant. 

My family and I are not very outdoorsy, so we wanted the outdoor experience with a lot of the amenities of hotels. This park offers a really cool option called a Huttopia tent, only used in a few parks in France and Canada. These tents offer a camping experience with full beds, tables, a small kitchenette, heating and shared bathrooms and showers. It's camping without the discomfort of camping - a perfect compromise for my family. 

Warning: even though we went in June, nights in the park were very chilly. Make sure you bring at least a few sweaters and warm bedding, as the tent can really heat up during the day but freeze up at night. 

French Canada is incredible and I'm sure I haven't even scratched the surface of what there is to explore. I hope I've provided some good tips! Leave in the comments anything else you would recommend exploring in this beautiful area. 

xoxo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment