Friday, June 28, 2013

My Face Routines

Morning
I usually shower in the mornings, so the first step after I wake up is to jump into the shower. What I use in the shower for my face varies depending on the climate or where I am, and how much cleansing my face actually needs. 

I have used many face washes, but the one that has worked absolute wonders in cleaning my face while keeping redness and dryness down is the Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser ($7.49) - pictured below. 
This stuff is amazing, fragrance-free, and doesn't irritate my skin even during the harshest winter days. Since I make sure to clean my face well at night, sometimes this is all I need in the morning to get my day started. I use this every single day when I shower, regardless of the temperature or where I am.

During the winter months in New Hampshire, I limit my morning face-washing to spare my face the dryness and irritation. When I'm home in Miami for the summer, however, the humidity and high temperatures mean that I'm constantly sweating under my make up and building up oil in my pores. During these times, I use the St. Ives Apricot Scrub ($4.29), pictured below.
This stuff has been used by everyone, it's cheap, and it works. I've also tried tons of scrubs and keep coming back to this one. During the summer (and some of the fall) I'll use this three times a week to keep all the oil and dirt buildup off my face. Warning: I used this during the winter and my face was so dry it started to peel in places. If you have dry skin, I recommend staying away from this during drier weather.

Once I get out of the shower, I have one more step before my make up: moisturizer. I have been using this moisturizer since I was 16 years old and it is unlikely that I will ever use another. It is the Olay Complete All Day UV Moisturizer, Sensitive Skin ($11.15).
This stuff is the most underrated of all beauty products. It is lightweight, has SPF, it is super moisturizing, oil-free and their sensitive skin formula is heaven on skin. It absorbs right into skin and keeps you moisturized and happy all day. Warning: their regular formula was actually painful to put on my skin. If you have sensitive skin like mine, you want to make sure you buy the sensitive formula.

And that's it for my morning! After this, I put on my makeup. I'll do a five-minute makeup routine later - I'm usually running late and have perfected this down to a science.

Night 
I've mentioned before that I'm super lazy and hate lengthy skin care routines but it goes without saying that it's super important to remove your makeup at the end of the day. This is a three- (sometimes four-) step routine that takes very little effort and time and gets all my makeup and dirt off.

First, I use make up remover wipes to take off all my make up. The ones I'm currently using are the Neutrogena Hydrating Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes ($6.99)
I've used the Neutrogena Deep Clean Oil-Free Makeup Remover Cleansing Wipes ($7.99) for years, and only recently decided to use the hydrating ones. Both of them are incredible and don't hurt or irritate your skin, but I'm particularly in love the hydrating ones because they're lovely and refreshing. Even my mom, who has really oily (but still sensitive) skin, absolutely loved the hydrating ones and is now using them in favor of the makeup remover she's been using for almost 20 years.

Side note about makeup wipes: brand matters! I love a good bargain, but I've bought other makeup wipes in the past (including some store-brand knockoffs) and taking off my makeup was actually painful. The Neutrogena ones have been, to my experience, the only ones that truly get all my makeup off without any pain.

I don't use eye makeup remover even though I use waterproof mascara, because these wipes are gentle enough to take off eye makeup without hurting your eyes.

After the makeup wipes, I use a toner. I have bought many toners and they always, without exception, made my skin feel like it was burning. So I dreaded the toner step every day until I found the Boots Expert Sensitive Gentle Refreshing Toner ($4.19).
This is an incredible toner that takes off all the remaining dirt off my skin and doesn't burn my skin at all. If you have sensitive skin, this stuff is incredible. 

After this, I re-moisturize with my Olay moisturizer mentioned above. 

This last step I only use during the summer, when I start breaking out because my skin gets sweaty and oily. This is one of the few non-drugstore products I use, and it is the Grease Lighting Spot Treatment by Lush ($13.95)
This has been endlessly reviewed and actually lives up to its hype. It works great on getting rid of spots and blemishes on your face. 

And that's it! My skin is clean, happy, and ready to take on the day (or night). 

Randomly Used Stuff
I use Biore Deep Cleaning Nose Pore Strips ($6.85) about once every two weeks to get dirt and buildup out of my nose pores. My nose is oddly the only oily area of my face, so I make sure to keep it clean of blackheads. 
While this gets rid of all your buildup, it can really hurt sensitive skin, so use sparingly. 

I get my eyebrows done at the salon (I'm scared of doing it on my own), but I wax my upper lip at home. I've tried countless wax systems, hair removal creams, and wax strips. Waxing systems and creams never worked for me, so I stick almost exclusively to wax strips. The best ones are the Nair Face Wax Strips ($8.99).
This gets all your hair off and doesn't hurt much. All waxing involves some pain, but these have proven to be the least harmful on my skin. 

Stuff I'm Missing
I'm currently in the market for a few things that I feel are missing from my routine. I would absolutely love suggestions. 
1. A night moisturizer. I love my Olay but I would love a stronger night moisturizer. I hate giving bad reviews, but the Neutrogena Light Night Cream ($12.79) is really not meant for sensitive skin, and I simply had to stop using it. 
2. An eye cream. My under eye area is very puffy, and I've recently started trying eye creams. I tried the Clinique All About Eyes Eye Cream ($50), and while it receives rave reviews from others, it really hurts my eyes. 

So that's all! I hope some of you can find some good tips, and please leave suggestions/criticism/requests in the comments!

xoxo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment