Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mascara Review

I absolutely love trying out new mascaras. Mascara is probably one of my favorite makeup items, and I love trying out different ones and seeing what works - this post will be dedicated to different mascaras and how much I love them (or don't). 

Disclosure about my lashes: I have naturally really long curly lashes. While you may think that this makes me worse at reviewing mascaras, I actually think it makes it harder for a mascara to impress me, because it's really hard to lengthen my lashes and because I smudge really easily. So when I like a mascara, it means it's withstood the test of length, time, weather, and anything else that may cause trouble when it comes to lashes.

So let's get to it! This is a compiled list of the mascaras I currently have or have tried in the very recent past. Again, all opinions are my own.

Rating: 

I absolutely hated this mascara. The brush clumps up your lashes, and the formula is so bad that it smudged within an hour.

Rating: 
This was the first mascara I ever used when I was 16, and I used it for many years before I tried other things. I know this mascara sells fairly well, partly to do with the price. This is nothing special - it doesn't lengthen very much and it smudges fairly easily. Definitely not worth the hype. 
Side note: the clear version is incredible for setting eyebrows, and it really holds them in place throughout the day. 

CoverGirl LashBlast ($7.79)
Rating: 
Another bestseller I don't really like. The formula isn't very good and smudges very easily, and I actually think the Great Lash mentioned above is a much better deal than this one. 

L'Oreal Double Extend ($10.95)

Rating: 
This mascara lengthens your lashes so much that it makes you look like you have false lashes on. This is the favorite mascara of many people I know who have short lashes. I'm really not a fan of the formula, however, because it smudges, but the deal breaker for me really was the fact that it's so hard to take off, you take a few eyelashes off in the process. Even after that, you're likely to wake up the next day with raccoon eyes. 

Maybelline The Falsies ($7.99)
Rating: 
This mascara is such good bang for your buck. The formula is excellent and even the non-waterproof formula hardly smudges. The only thing I don't like about this mascara is the brush, because it can be a bit clumpy, but if you wiggle it a bit as you put it on then it works wonders. Definitely the best drugstore mascara I've tried by far.

Benefit They're Real! ($23.00)
Rating: 
The single best mascara I've ever tried, and it breaks my heart that it doesn't come in a waterproof formula otherwise I would use it every day. While the formula is certainly good, what really makes this mascara the best is the brush. That brush will get into every single one of your lashes and will extend them endlessly, and the tip will get even your hardest to reach corner lashes. If you're wondering whether it's worth the investment, there's a $10.00 mini version (at the same link above) that you can try to see if you like it (hint: you will).

Clinique High Impact Waterproof ($16.00)
Rating: 
My current favorite mascara and the one I use every single day (except for special night-out occasions when I'll use my Benefit one). The brush is great, the formula's great, and I have a long-standing obsession with Clinique. Nothing not to love here.

And that's all! I hope some of this stuff is useful next time you're buying a mascara - leave your favorites in the comments!

xoxo.

No comments:

Post a Comment